Presidential candidates are still on fire expressing their thoughts and opinions on their opponents in Pilipinas Debate 2016.
According to Roxas, a former interior secretary, the current administration has provided an amount twice as much money on improving Mindanao than the previous governments, referring to presidents Erap Estrada and Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo combined.
He said that in fact Mindanao today has twice the amount of infrastructure in the last five years than it had in the last 12 years. Mindanao received P260 billion in the last 5 years compared to P125 billion 12 years ago under Gloria and Erap’s term.
The ‘Daang Matuwid’ needs to be continued for it still has much work still needs to be done to improve Mindanao, he added.
Roxas claims Mindanao progress under Aquino, Duterte rebuts
Mar Roxas: "Habang totoo na napag-iwanan ang Mindanao, hindi na po 'yon ang nangyayari ngayon... P260 billion pesos ang dumating sa Mindanao nitong nakaraang 5 taon." Duterte rebuts: "Wala akong nakitang tuwid na daan, puro kulubot."More analysis on www.rappler.com/phvotedebates #PHVote #PiliPinasDebates2016Posted by Rappler on Sunday, February 21, 2016
However, on the other hand, Duterte criticized Roxas sharply and blasted ‘Daang Matuwid’ as failure.
Duterte said that he didn’t see any straight path, only crooked. The mayor said that much of the funds still went to Manila and whatever was left for Mindanao went straight to the private accounts of corrupt officials.
According to his statement last year, the budget was given to Manila. Its largest portion it received as 64 percent. Only P19 million was given to Region 11. He’s questioning if how can the government expect development in Mindanao with that amount of money. He also said that we do not count the funds during the last five years, it just went to corruption.